Resolving Photocopy work

In my last post documenting the progress of my drawing project I talked about my struggle finding a pure image to work with for my photocopying series. Since then I started to research the work of Anna Atkins, who took the first Cyanotype’s of natural forms. I felt that these images would be most appropriate to work from, as they are the first example of technology capturing nature.

Anna Atkins Cyanotypes from Photographs of British algae: cyanotype impressions. / Part I.

Anna Atkins Cyanotypes from Photographs of British algae: cyanotype impressions. / Part I.

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.04.35 Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.04.52

I also decided to simplify my process as I found that the outcomes where I dragged the original image from left – right across the scanner felt the most successful as this both mimics the technology of the photocopier and the way we read in Western culture. To take away my visual control over the piece I used a random number generator to determine whether the original would be scanned in Portrait or Landscape and what specific co ordinates (X or Y) would be dragged along with the light of the photocopier. A selection of the 12 results:

Anna Atkins photocopies 4/12

Anna Atkins photocopies 4/12

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.07.09

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.07.21 Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.07.30

I did another 12 experiments with an Anna Atkins inspired image that I came across. Strangely, when researching Atkins I realized that the ‘Google Doodle’ of the day was an interpretation of her process to spell out the search engine’s name. I found this to be a strange tribute to Atkins and an interesting representation of Westerns cultures relationship with nature and technology so I used the same random number generator technique with this image.

Google Doodle Photocopies 4/12

Google Doodle Photocopies 4/12

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.14.45

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.14.54 Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.15.03

As these outcomes where made of 12 A3 sheets each the only way to view them properly was by laying them out on the floor. This did make me think that these could make an interesting floor piece, as walking around/ up and down the photocopies put a whole new emphasis on the outcomes as a large scale piece. But I wanted a more truthful way of presenting these images to the viewer that didn’t ignore the process of their creation so I tried making zines.

DSCN2190 DSCN2189DSCN2199

I thought the zines would help guide the viewer through the process, being able to flick the pages between the progression to understand the origins of the last image and the progression of the original. I made a third zine that compared both of the outcomes from the original Anna Atkins Cyanotype and the Google Doodle as they were born from the same random number generator decision-making. When comparing both outcomes I noticed that there were similarities in texture and patterns at each stage, which could talk about the similarities that are found in nature and technology.

Unfortunately these zines didn’t work, although I liked the truthful paper materiality of them, they felt boring and static when the piece is meant to be about transformation. Looking at my previous work with photocopies I decided to experiment with film, but didn’t just want to make a slideshow. Instead I filmed the photocopies being scanned in, so that the photocopier physically makes the transition between the images, mirroring the reality of the process they were made from.

I was very pleased with this initial outcome; I was especially excited by the audio. The mundane rhythm of the photocopier becomes a melody partnered with these vibrantly abstract images. I found that the most successful transitions between images was when they lined up and you could see exactly how one image created the next. I realized that this only happened with the Landscape outcomes, as this is how they are viewed on the film. So this lead me to make a new series with Anna Atkins Cyanotype where I used the random number generator again to determine co ordinates but only scanned in the images Landscape.

I felt that this could work well as a wall piece or floor piece better than a video as from far away it doesn’t feel like the image progresses at all but close up you can see the change in colour and lines which I find really interesting. This is very different from the series I had done before, and I missed the abstract textures that initially led me to this process so I then decided to scan each of these outcomes in portrait, using a random number generator to determine the co ordinates.

This gave some of the most colourful outcomes yet, but I now feel stuck with where to go with this next. I feel that I am just on the cusp of realizing the full potential of this piece but I don’t know what comes next. I feel that my most successful outcome is the video experiments but I now do not know which one is most relevant, or how this could be displayed completely truthfully. I feel that there is much more I could do with the audio – maybe I could have a series of several films of different series being projected at once, all starting and finishing at different times but all in the same rhythm of the photocopier. Maybe I have reached the full potential of this piece and simply one of the video pieces I have already made is enough to display my concept and process fully.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s